Monday, January 4, 2010

Futures Pointing to a Higher Open for 2010...

2:10 pm ET - The 1,133 area is acting as horizontal resistance on Monday...we have pointed out this number for months...it is the Sep 18, 2008 support low that was broken decisively on Oct 3, 2008...no surprises about today's pause...the question of course is: How long will it pause here or will it need to pull back first before it breaks completely through? We'll be watching the charts for the answer.
(click image to enlarge)
12:00 pm ET - DECK is bouncing from Thursday's pull back following its horizontal breakout on Wednesday...breakout chart target is 111.95 as stated in our Dec 30 post... 11:00 am ET - SPX breaks out hits 1,132.21...short term chart target from last Thursday's bull flag pull back is 1,145.95... 10:50 am ET - NIHD and BUCY are breaking out this morning...JOYG and CAT support bounces 10:40 am ET - STLD which has been bouncing like X this morning is on the resistance edge of a breakout...SNDA which bounced on its 30 DMA on Wednesday is breaking out this morning... 10:20 am ET - a support bounce in X this morning is being followed by a bounce in PCLN which is close to breaking the high of the low day...SOX is breaking out to new highs this morning...KLAC, LRCX, BRCM, SNDK and INTC are having nice moves this morning... 10:05 am ET - If you have not read and re-read the January 1 post that was completed over the weekend...I would suggest you read it this morning including the link to January 31, 2009...it has the potential to improve your thinking and trading starting today... X marks the spot as the saying goes...I hope Mr. Market is pouring some money in your account this morning! 10:00 am ET - Here is a post in the January 1, 2010 Comment section posted early this morning...Maybe the person who posted will identify themselves in the Comment Section today, but I thought more of you might like to give this consideration so I am posting it here where everyone is more likely to see it... Anonymous said... TO EVERYONE, I would like to suggest that this year we all add more comments to Dave's blog page whenever we can. It is of tremendous benefit that we can all see what we are doing/thinking and I think it is a way that Dave can get some feedback and receive some energy from us for all that he does! January 4, 2010 6:05 AM 9:50 am ET - the SPX is +14.30 forming a large white candle and pushing for last week's high of 1,130.38 reached on both Monday and Tuesday....Trendship has it privileges! BMO – ES +9.25 and NQ +23.50 futures are higher in pre-market trading pointing to a higher open. AAPL +2.14, AMZN +1.78, GOOG +6.81 and BIDU +4.03 are higher in pre-market trading. There is still a 1,234 chart target for the end of January, we’ll watch closely to see if the time frame is realistic or will need adjustment. Remember direction and price target are more important and time. The Euro is up 114 pips in overnight trading. Oil is up $1.95 in electronic trading. XLE is up 93 cents in pre-market trading. SPY is up 95 cents in pre-market trading. XLF is up 11 cents in pre-market trading. Continue to watch XLF as a key to sustain the breakout in the SPX. Follow your rules in any trading actions today. Be logical. SPX Support = 1,106 - 1,117 Resistance = 1,125 – 1,133 Trading Down: Trading Up: POT, AMZN, FCX, CREE, X, RIMM, BUCY Look at these Charts… (click image to enlarge) At the Open on Monday SPY – QQQQ – FAS – X – AMZN – RIMM – DOW – UAUA – MA – BUCY – NVDA – LRCX – WHR – AAPL – AKAM – AMD – CREE – KLAC – PCLN – DECK – NFLX – ISRG – FLIR – CAT – DE – PCP – UNP – STLD – POT – AGU – ACN – ICE – CME –

14 comments:

John Kevan said...

I Love the new word "Trendship". Maybe we can get it added to the dictionary like Steven Colberts word "Truthiness" (for those of you who watch the Comedy Channel 'The Daily or Colbert Shows'.

Thanks Dave for the new word. Maybe a section on your Blog can be titled "Trendship"

Aloha
John

Unknown said...

Lovin the new year Dave, It was an amazing event in mid Dec. inSF and look forward to a new year and to listen and learn from your years of experience, shall I call you Yoda?
I must say I understand where you are coming from with trading so much more, because I was able to help teach this to a couple other people. Watching them trade and erase all the progress we made in planning trades for them is a frustrating thing. Having them get emotional about trading halfway between the trade really cleared up where you are coming from with BDK. Its a bummer to set someone on the right path just to watch them decide they know a better path and have them miss out on opportunity. It brought new perspective to my own trading.

I thought that was interesting, So Thank you Dave and I hope you had some good time off look forward to your Online Classes.

Nathanael Maxwell

Brian McAllister said...

What a great way to start the year with this Monday continuation of the trend.

I really enjoyed your Friday post, especially the link back to the Jan. 2009 post. That makes so much sense now (I wish I'd read it last year in January)! The trend trumps all . . . including the so-called January barometer. "Trendship" it is!

Thanks,

Brian

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Dave!! This is going to be my best year ever! Really had a chance to evaluate rules and prepare for this new trading year. Can't believe all that I have learned from you this past year! I am so thankful for all you have done!

Many thanks to you!!
Mishel

Anonymous said...

Wow Dave--Yes ---- I just responded to what Anonymous wrote on January 1st's post!

I Looooovvvvveeeee Mr. Market! Wonderful, wonderful market and even better commentary from you!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Lane

Shushu said...

Is the Comments section fro asking questions also or just making comments?
I have asked questions in the past with no response so I may have just answered my own question.
Thanks for everything Dave. We truely appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! What an enthusiastic start to a new year! I have to admit I did not know about your posts or talks until later this year. After spending more than a year of stumbling around, I am SO very glad to have found this. Your teachings have certainly helped me take the plunge, make mistakes, but keep going. I love trading. My first goal was to be a good trader, now my second goal is also to make more profits in 2010. I KNOW I will! Thank you for all the info & words of wisdom you put into these daily posts. You're efforts are certainly appreciated by so, so many....more than you'll ever know.
Cheers!
Lois

sandyhoyt said...

Love your new format--additional comments during the day as so helpful! Your comment on 1133 resistance on a day like today is very 'grounding'.

Thanks for all you do--

Wishing you and your family blessings and prosperity in 2010!
Sandy

Dave Johnson said...

Shushu,

Since this is an extra time blog, my schedule does not always allow me to answer questions immediately and it may become dated before I see it. There may also be some questions that I can't answer. However, if you ask a question, other readers do at times respond, so that can be helpful too. The good aspect of this blog is everyone is polite.

DJ

Anonymous said...

Dave, I love it when I review the market forecasts before a trading room, and then I check my conclusions against yours! Guess what, I must be learning, because I'm coming to the same conclusions about T, S&R, and Momentum! Some other trading rooms, yeah they have good trades, but they aren't predictable and repeatable. Someone else's random, discretionary strategies don't help me learn to trade on my own.
Thanks for just being Dave, all day, every day.
Judy B

BOBB said...

Dave:
Thanks for the additional comments and features today. I thank you for the additional "play by play" (not that I (or you) consider trading as play) analysis. I'm getting better at spotting some of the same S/R (support/ resistance) areas and looking to adjust trades as needed or desired. Thank you again.
Robert
CANI_212

Shushu said...

Thanks Dave,
I suspected it was a time issue.
You give so much to the site as it is.
As I said before you are truely appreciated and I look forward to reading it everyday.
You help keep us grounded and focused as someone else also said.
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

An end of trading day share;
Okay, more and more of us are finding out about the 'Power of DJ'.

I am so glad that someone as wonderful as he, is getting the attention that he deserves--

It is truly satisfying to see wonderful people like our DJ get acknowledged and appreciated by so many!

Just since I began following him/you in March 2009, I have noticed the numbers have increased significantly!

Congratulations to one heck of a Great Teacher (And yes David...), a Darned Good Looking One, too!!!!


Laney

Unknown said...

Laney, I couldn't agree with that more!! Dave is spectabulous!!